Sell Your Home in Six Easy Steps
Register Here for a Free Home Value Report
A Home Value Report from Southern Provincial is the best way to find out what your home is worth
Step 1: Learn about the Local Real Estate Market
Information is the key factor in any real estate transaction. This holds especially true when it comes to selling your home. Real estate is a hyper-local business, so each individual market area operates differently, adding to the frustration of collecting accurate data.
Our agents are always up to date on the latest market information and recent home sales, so you can be sure your Southern Provincial Realtor® has the experience you need to know the local real estate market.
Step 2: Find a Realtor® You Trust
Of course we would be happy if you hire a Southern Provincial Real Estate Agent, but you have to make that decision on your own. The most important thing is to find someone who will put your best interests ahead of their own, and work hard to market and sell your home.
Before selling, many homeowners will consider placing their home for sale by owner. Depending on your personal real estate expertise, that might be a mistake. Sure, you might save a commission, but you would miss out on these personal services and potentially lose money in the long run:
- A Realtor® can help you decide on a fair listing price (read the next section to learn why that’s important)
- We can help with paperwork, saving you money on potential legal fees and headaches.
- As members of the Houston Association of Realtors, we have access to the Houston MLS and thousands of potential buyers.
- As members of the Centralized Showing Service, we can coordinate showings saving your time and effort.
With these advantages in mind, the remainder of this guide will be devoted to sellers who hire a trusted Realtor®.
Step 3: Calculate the Correct Listing Price
Pricing is the most important component of the home sale. A good price will create buzz among buyer’s agents and facilitate a quick sale. As MLS and Realtor® Association Members, we have access to sales prices for all homes across the Houston area which gives us an accurate picture of the market climate – a feature only available to Realtors®
Step 4: Get Your Home in Listing Condition
Getting your home in listing condition is the most important step in selling your home for top dollar. Listing condition is a term we use to refer to a home that is eye catching and ready to sell. It involves the following areas:
- No clutter – If you have too much stuff, you should pack it up and store it out of the view of potential buyers.
- Fresh paint – A freshly painted interior in a neutral shade is a quick and inexpensive way to appeal to buyers.
- Deep cleaning – Your house should be spotless. A potential buyer will notice everything, even that dirty vent on the ceiling!
- Curb appeal – Make your yard a showpiece. Water the grass, weed the flower beds, trim shrubs, etc…. Here, color is your friend. Colorful flowers can make a buyer love your home before they even walk in the door.
- Depersonalize your home – Take down your family photos, and hang inoffensive artwork. You want to make sure buyers picture themselves in your home.
Step 5: Market Your Home
Marketing is another important step in selling your home. A lot of real estate agents will put your home on the MLS and hope other Realtors® will show it to their customers. A good marketing plan should be much more in depth, focusing on bringing customers in, instead of waiting around. This proactive approach should use targeted marketing features and cutting edge technology to give your home maximum exposure to potential buyers.
Southern Provincial Real Estate is committed to using the latest proven marketing techniques for our clients, at the broker and agent level. We approach marketing always focused on the goal of selling, by using what works and staying away from outdated methods that do not.
Step 6: Receive Offers and Close
So, you followed all five steps and you have a buyer, with an acceptable offer on the table. Now the real work begins. Inspections, repairs and option periods await. You have to keep in mind while considering offers, that all terms of the contract are negotiable – from closing costs to closing dates. A good Realtor will be with you every step of the way acting as your advocate throughout the process and beyond.